Name of Competition: Melbourne Ikebana Container Award
Closing Date: 6 August 2021
Art Competition Details
Wa Melbourne Ikebana Festival is pleased to present an opportunity for ceramic artists to create artworks to inspire ikebana artists.
The choice of container is a quintessential element of ikebana. The artistic essence of ikebana lies in the creation of unity between a container and cut flowers by an ikebana artist. This unity makes it possible to capture the true spirit of the flowers.
Internationally renowned ceramic artist, Hiroe Swen will be the judge for this award.
1 July 2021: Entries open
6 August 2021: Entries close
13 August 2021: Finalists Announcement. See our News page.
10 September 2021: Delivery of Artwork
8 pm, 10 September 2021: Judging
11 pm, 10 September 2021: Winner Announcement
10am, 11 September 2021: Award Ceremony
11:00 am – 5:00 pm, 11 & 12 September 2021: Exhibition (Admission Free)
12 September 2021: Collection of artwork
Prize: HS Award – $1000 Cash Prize (non-acquisitive)
Judge: Hiroe Swen
Ceramic artist, Former Lecturer in Ceramics at the Australian National University Institute of the Arts.
Curators: Shoan Lo, Sue Healey & Shoto Duke (Ikebana Artists)
Venue: Rosina, Abbotsford Convent, Abbotsford, Victoria
Entries from all levels of experience welcome. Entrants have to be an Australian resident.
All artworks should measure 45x45x45cm or less.
Artwork has to hold water for ikebana.
One artwork per entrant (A set of two or more works is not accepted).
The decision of the judges is final.
Entry Fee: $40. Entry fees is non-refundable.
How to Apply:
1. Please read the full Terms and Conditions carefully.
2. Fill out and submit the Application form (available here on 1 July 2021).
3. Pay your entry fee (Aus $40).
4. Once your entry form and payment has been submitted, please allow up to 5 business days for confirmation of your entry.
Our curators will select the finalists. Finalists will be noted by email as well as on our website by 13 August 2021.
Delivery of artwork to Rosina, Abbotsford Convent:
Artwork drop off (in person): Friday 10 September between 5pm – 7pm.
If artwork is not delivered by 7pm on Friday, it will not be included in the exhibition and fees will not be refunded.
Delivery costs are at the expense of the artist.
8pm, 10 September 2021 – Judging takes place. Hiroe Swen will choose the winner.
By 11 pm, 10 September 2021 – Winner will be notified by text message and announced on our website (Please don’t contact us for the results).
10 am, 11 September 2021 – Award ceremony as a part of Wa Melbourne Ikebana Festival Opening at Rosina, Abbotsford Convent.
Collection and return of works:
Artist/courier collection in person: Unsold works MUST be collected from Rosina on Sunday 12 September 2021 between 5 – 7pm.
Work not collected by the time may be disposed of.
Stalls during the exhibition:
A small number of stalls will be available for ceramic artists or ikebana related businesses during the exhibition in or around Rosina. If you have stall holder insurance, please apply to email@example.com. Application opens in August 2021.
Contact: Sue Healey, firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms & Conditions:
1. All submitted works are for sale during our exhibition.
2. Commission on sold works: 33% commission on artwork sales applies. This includes GST where applicable. We will try to transfer the agreed amount to your nominated account within 4 weeks from the exhibition.
3. We will notify when a work is sold on our website. Exhibitors are encouraged to check our website during the exhibition. See our News page.
4. The people who bought the work will be asked to collect it at the end of the exhibition, 5pm on 12th of September, unless a special arrangement is made.
5. Award: Award money will be transferred to the winner’s account in Australia within 4 weeks from the exhibition. We do not transfer money overseas.
6. Insurance: While we take the utmost care of artwork, Melbourne Ikebana Festival takes no responsibility for theft, loss or damage of artwork. It is advised that concerned artists purchase their own insurance.
7. Cancellation: If this exhibition/award is cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, we will refund your entry fee. Institution fees will be deducted.
Who may enter? Australia Only
Website with Art Competition details: https://www.ikebanafestival.com/container-award